RebelMouse Wants To Be Your Front Page

I have both personal and professional Twitter accounts, Pinterest boards, Scoop.it!, Learni.st, and Facebook pages, blogs, and probably some other accounts I occasionally remember and post something to. It’s a maelstrom of sharing and curating, and I know there are people who use these tools way more than I do.

I’ve been trying out the RebelMouse social/publishing aggregator to corral these far-flung bits of interestingness, and I like that everything I’m noting and writing online is now visible in one place.

In a Pinterest-like board of posts, users can see their latest Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, or any other updates, follow other RebelMouse users, and edit and reorganize their page at any time. The “add post” feature allows users to post photos, videos, or blog entries directly to their RebelMouse page, and the page refreshes constantly and automatically keeps up with all feeds: post on Twitter, it shows up on RebelMouse instantly. “Users can share from their own or the RebelMouse pages of others, and can also reply to Tweets directly from RebelMouse, without having to move to Twitter.

And, like the “Pin It” and “Scoop It!” features of those sites, there’s a “Stick” bookmarklet to allow users to post to their RebelMouse pages from anywhere on the Web. (Although I think not calling it “Stick It!” is a missed opportunity.)

RebelMouse, founded by former Huffington Post CTO Paul Berry, is still in Beta, but since its inception in June of 2012, the site has already broadened its options for personal and commercial users and is gaining momentum (there were 12K+ early adopters within the first week). There are no mobile options right now, and that’s definitely a drawback. There is also a homogeneity to the pages – while everyone has, of course, a different set of curated materials on their page, they’re all still visually, essentially, the same. Those limitations don’t worry me too much since they’re surely temporary.

Just one week after RebelMouse went public, this blog post sparked an interesting discussion on fragmentation and social media, as well as the diminishing returns of our social media efforts. There are paid options for commercial users, but for normies like me, it’s free. I like that I can keep my professional and personal content separate but still curated.

The greatest value of RebelMouse right now is that it allows other people to visit your page and get a broader sampling of how you want to be known online without having to swim through your social media site by site, and vice versa. I can see the RebelMouse icon replacing that list of social media links we all maintain in our blogs and bios. “Just check my RebelMouse,” we’ll say. Check my RebelMouse.